Prof Ikonne Biography, His full name is Professor Eleazar Uchenna Ikonne, but he is more commonly known by his nickname, Prof. Uche Ikonne. He taught optometry at a university in Nigeria and was the People’s Democratic Party’s candidate for governor of Abia state in 2023.
Prof Ikonne personal profile
|Alma mater||Manila Central University, Saint Jude College, Abia State University|
Uche Ikonne was the gubernatorial candidate of People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in Abia State. He died at the National Hospital, Abuja around 4am on January 25, 2023 after suffering from multiple cardiac arrests.
Prof Ikonne Education
He received his education at the illustrious and well-known Ngwa High School in Aba, which subsequently evolved into the Faculty of Law and Aba Campus of what was then known as Imo State University and is now known as Abia State University.
Before going to the Philippines to study optometry, Uche Ikonne was a student at St. Augustine’s Grammar School in Nkwere, where he earned his Higher School Certificate. After that, he moved on to another academic institution in the Philippines.
At the Manila Central University in the Philippines, young Eleazar Uchenna Ikonne displayed awesome and enviable brilliance as a student of Optometry. There, he not only earned a degree of Doctor of Optometry, but he also graduated in a Specialist Master’s Degree program in Hospital Optometric Practices and Administration. Both of these accomplishments are to be admired and admired by others.
Prof Ikonne Career
- Eleazar Uchenna Ikonne worked as a pioneer academic staff member in the school of optometry at the Etiti Campus of the erstwhile Imo State University, which is now known as Abia State University, after returning to Nigeria in 1986.Abia State University was where he completed the requirements for his Doctor of Philosophy degree in Environmental Health Science. 2006 was the year he was promoted to Professor. Uche Ikonne was appointed to the position of Rector of Abia State Polytechnic, Aba – (on Rescue Mission) in 2014 and served in that capacity until 2015. He was appointed to his position as the 7th Substantive Vice-Chancellor of Abia State University in December of 2015. Before becoming the Vice Chancellor of Abia State University, Uche Ikonne held a number of posts, including the following: Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), ABSU- 2010-2014
- Deputy Provost, College of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Dean, Faculty of Health Sciences
- Director, Institute of Distance Education (IDEA)
- Head, Department of Optometry, ABSU.
Prof Ikonne Political Career
Professor Uche Ikenna emerged as the flag bearer of the PDP in Abia state in May 2022. He polled 468 votes to defeat five other contestants in the exercise that took place under heavy security.
Mr Lucky Igbokwe came a distant second with 45 votes, while the only female contestant,Ngozi Merenge, scored five votes.
Other contestants, including Deputy Governor Ude Oko-Chukwu, Enyinnaya Abaribe, Emma Nwaka, had earlier announced their withdrawal from the race. They were, however, credited with six, five and four votes, respectively.
Also, Greg Ibe, who formally defected to the All Progressives Grand Alliance on April 17, was also credited with two votes. Other aspirants that withdrew from the race were Ncheta Omerekpe, Enyinnaya Nwafor and Chima Anyaso. However, they were credited with three, four and five votes, respectively.
Prof Ikonne Age
Uche Ikonne came into the world on August 15th, 1956. At the time of his passing, he was 66 years old, and on August 15, 2023, he would have become 67 years old, making him 67 years old overall.
Prof Ikonne Cause Of Death
Professor Uche Ikonne has passed away. His death was verified by his son, and it was reported in the vast majority of major media outlets.
His son, Dr. Uche Ikonne, released a statement on Wednesday saying, “I regret to announce the death of my dear father, Prof. Eleazar Uchenna Ikonne, who died at the National Hospital Abuja today, January 25, 2023 by 4 am after a brief illness.” The statement reads: “I regret to announce the death of my dear father, Prof. Eleazar Uchenna Ikonne.”
“He was improving after receiving appropriate care in the United Kingdom; nevertheless, a setback a few days ago led to repeated cardiac arrests from which he would not recover. He passed away as a result of his injuries.
After the family has had a chance to deliberate and discuss the matter with one another, “further facts and preparations would be made known to the public,”
Prof Ikonne Family
Barrister Lady Uzoamaka G. Uche Ikonne, who later became the Permanent Secretary and Solicitor-General of Abia State, was married to Uche Ikonne during his lifetime.
The union resulted in the birth of two boys.